Saturday, November 27, 2010

WWF Campaign: Sustainable Seafood

On my way to work, I passed by a few bus stops with the advertisment board displaying a plate of very delicious looking raw salmon/tuna (I was guessing). I, personally, am not a fan of raw food, but even so, I still think it looks so good that it will make salmon/tuna eaters' mouths water.
The advertisment attracted me, not only because of the picture of the tuna (which I later found out when my bus stopped right in front of the board, thus I can read a few lines of the ads copy), but I saw a logo of World Wild Life (WWF) on it. Yes, on my mission to care a bit for wild life, I signed up for WWF's newsletter a few years ago, but has stopped reading it now.
Anyway, the point is... Yes, the ads with the very well-taken picture of tuna is not the advertisments put up by any Japanese restaurants. It's the campaign by World Wild Life (WWF) to encourage Singaporeans to consume sustainable seafood and also as part of its marine conservation efforts. Read the details of the campaign which is conceptualized by the creative agency, Ogilvy and Mather.
It's actually a creative idea, the ads copy is Great! It makes you ashamed of yourself for eating the seafood. Read for yourself here.
However, I personally think the ads creates the opposite effect when I first look at it. My first impression is definitely not what WWF would love to hear. What do you think of the following?

Looking at the poster above, what's crossed your mind? I guess More of "Wow... It looks delicious", "Gourmet", "Haven't had raw salmon/tuna for a while..." and Less of "It's awful", "I am not going to have tuna or salmon anymore..."

P.S. I have no intention to offend the creative team. Just my personal opinion. I am fully supportive with the effort they put in promoting this campaign!

No comments: