Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Toastmaster - First Experience


As promised, I will share my first experience in toastmaster, if it's interesting enough. Frankly speaking, it's more than just interesting, it's inspiring, it makes me think, it's very informative, it's educative, so I have decided I will join as a member :)

The moment when I walked in, I was like... Wow... I bet I am the youngest! Yeah, it's a very 'senior' type of crowd. Okay, I won't be too 'age-ist' here, the most important thing is that people are very warm which made me feel welcomed. Some people are born as good speakers, while some others are trained to be one. Whatever it is, they are all there to polish the presentation skill, leadrship skill, etcetera. The spirit in learning is what I envy!

How was the meeting being carried out? Let me englihten those who have never been to one... ehm ehm... you should be grateful, because... I stepped in to the meeting room, without having the idea what to expect. If you can go to a battle field, knowing your enemy, the strategy, it will be much easier. How kind of me~ :D

Here we go...

There are some important role assigned to the member of the club, they are (I can't remember the exact name for the role, but it's something as followed):

Toastmaster of the evening - it's something like an MC
Seargant Arm - This person will call the meeting to order, gather everyone and start the meeting by introducing the Toastmaster of the evening
Table Topic Master - This person conducts the ice breaking session, where he will prepare 5 random topics to be presented by 5 random speakers (can be guests or members)
Time keeper - this person is the one who keep track of the timing, to make sure that the meeting is within the time frame
Toastmasters - Presenters of the night, there are 5 of them tonight. The material are prepared based on the 'chapter' of the menu that they are in.
Evalutors - These people evaluate the presenters. One Evalutor evalutes only One Presenter
Ah Counter or something - This person keeps track of every "Ah.." "Em..." mentioned in the room
Language Evalutor - Evaluating the language used. I envy the person so much. It's amazing to see how he can keep track of that small little things.
General Evaluator - Evaluating the whole meeting in general.

Let see how everyone played their role in the meeting:
- The Seargant Arm opened the meeting and introduced the Toastmaster of the Evening (TME)
- The TME did a little ice breaking session for everyone in the room and introduced the Table Topic Master
- Table Topic Master took over and started with the 5 random table topics to be presented. This was when some people volunteered and some were hand-picked
- The actual presentations started
- After that, evaluators will give their feedback to the presenters

At the end of the session, everyone is learning...

No comments: