Monday, September 8, 2008

"Sunrise in Bali"


Today, I chatted with the humblest person that I ever met. He wore a very simple shirt, carried a black backpack and walk around KLCC with no one that might ever think him as a millionaire, or billionaire I will say, from Bali, Indonesia. He is Pak Sayoga. One thing for sure, he worships his hometown, Bali, the well-known Pulau Dewata.

Never missed a chance to interview him. I got to know that he has a hobby for plants, not a normal gardenning but breeding the scarcest plants from all over the world. If you have stamps collection, he has these plants collection. (Never ask me to name the plants, *White flag*)

I never thought there really will be this kind of collector, because they are really into it. How they really into this thing, let me share a sample case with you. In the middle of our conversation, another collector texted him, and do you know what the content is?

"This is xxx plant, 2cm height, around Rp. 20 million (US$. 2,000)"

I almost fainted. US$. 2,000 for a 2cm wood? not a 'real' plant yet. Piuh~ That's okay, I got to know from others that in his house in Bali, they'd ever seen a pot of 'leaves' that costs him US$. 100,000. *Speechless*

Then, I continue my interview, I had always heard about him, but I wanna know from his own now, as I'm given that chance anyhow. =D

I asked about how he learns all these things, and I manage to know that he reads and learns from other collectors. Then story continued to how he actually started to like to know about plants? "Last time, long long time ago, from high school in biology class," he said "but as we (his family) got financial problem, so have no chance to continue to university, so I started to work."

I'll keep the details with me, the summary is:
He started to work as a bell-boy in a Hotel in Bali. I saw his picture in his old house, pretty sad to imagine people stay in that kind of place, place that they call as home. Then, opportunity knocks his door. He is wise enough to grasp it and take the challanges. Tones of challenges. Until a few years back, he is the current Pak Sayoga who most of networkers know, Pak Sayoga from Bali.

Humble humble and humble that I can only say about him.

Compare him with some rich people, while they are Rich, Pak Sayoga is Wealthy.

P.S. Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines "Wealth" as abundance of valuable material possessions or resources and abundant supply, while it defines "Riches" as things that make a person rich. --> 'abundant supply' although it might be in term of system that creates a lot of 'money', In this case, I will put a definition of my own, a humble heart of him. =D

No comments: